New Prop

All things general in here
The Spook

Re: New Prop

Postby The Spook » 08 Feb 2017, 12:37

I was of the understanding that the video showed the boat right up on the prop. The USB stick that I've got does.

Interesting.

Bob

Alan

Postby Alan » 08 Feb 2017, 19:53

Yes it was up and looked good, meant Fin not rooster.

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 20 Jun 2017, 20:29

Hi all

Just thought that I would update everyone on what the situation is with The Spook.

The engine is out and it has been stripped down. The damage was thankfully only moderate, a set of main bearings, big end bearings and camshaft bearings all of which have been replaced with new ones which I have had teflon coated. When I first built this engine I teflon coated all the bearings as it is an excellent aid to engine initial startup so I just did it all again. The cylinders got a light hone to allow the new rings to bed properly and the crankshaft got a linish too . The short motor is now back together and the rotating assembly,2 bolt and 4 bolt main caps, main cap girdle and big ends are all torqued up. The new camshaft is installed and timed as per the manufacturers specs.

The oil pressure failure was caused by a weld on the oil pickup which fatigued around the edge of the weld and broke the piece out of the oil pickup tube above the oil level in the sump and the result was that the oil pump was just sucking air.

The new camshaft is from Camtech and is the largest camshaft that they make for a Holden 308 block, according to Camtech it will allow the engine to pull to 7,000 rpm with the stroker kit (357 cu inches). Not too bad for an engine that only pulled about 4 or so thousand rpm in factory tune and 308 setup.

I have also sourced a set of edge orifice lifters which should completely fix the rocker cover oil overflow problem once and for all.

Bob

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 21 Jun 2017, 08:32

Hi Bob,
That's boating for you. Are you leaving the roll pins in the pushrods or pulling them out because you're going edge orifice? Guess you won't be going to Forster err, I mean Tuncurry this year. I'm taking my boat but several delays with the engine rebuild means the engine is not ready. I've put a dummy donk in it and will be on static display only.
BobW

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 21 Jun 2017, 19:22

Reklaw

I am going to leave the roll pins in the pushrods. Getting them out would be a problem and the amount of oil flowing to the top end will now be determined by the edge orifice lifters and the rollpins will not have any effect on that level of oil flow.

When I got the edge orifice lifters I discovered that the oil holes in the lifters don't even come down into the lifter bore oil gallery so the oil flow to the pushrods and rockers is determined by the amount of oil which can flow around the lifter between the lifter bore and the lifter into the lifter oil holes of which there are two 180 degrees apart.

The people who I have spoken to about this have all said that the amount of oil that the solid lifters, pushrods and the roller rockers require for lubrication is significantly less than that required by a hydraulic lifter setup and that the amount of oil that will flow past the edge orifice lifters will be sufficient for the job. The camshaft to solid lifter surfaces will still be splash fed by the crankshaft which is the normal situation in these types of engines and that will remain the same.

The secondary effect will be that because there is less oil flowing to the rocker covers with this setup, more oil will be pumped to the bottom end of the motor which has to be a good thing.

Yes, I will be at Tuncurry for the weekend to sight see.

Bob

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 22 Jul 2017, 04:08

Hi all

The engine is now all back together.

There is always something that comes out of left field, and this time it was the combination of the new camshaft and edge orifice lifters. The pushrods that I had with the roll pins installed turned out to be too short, thankfully I had a set which were .050 longer which were perfect.

Next job is to get the engine back in the boat.

Bob

Darren

Postby Darren » 22 Jul 2017, 23:28

Sounds like its getting close Bob. How long before you are back in the water?

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 24 Jul 2017, 20:53

Engine is scheduled to go back in the boat tomorrow afternoon.

Bob

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 27 Jul 2017, 01:50

Engine is in and I have started the process of connecting everything up.

So far the carb is on and the fuel lines are done. The cooling system header tank is mounted back on the front of the motor and the heat exchanger to engine coolant hoses are in place but not all are hose clamped. Alternator and oil pressure switch are wired up.

Getting there but a bit more to do.

Bob

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 07 Aug 2017, 00:15

The engine gets started tomorrow (monday) morning at about 9am.

Its in and everything is connected.

It cranks over and has spark. The sump is full as is the oil filter, the oil pump is primed. The fuel system is fully primed - 25 liters of fuel in the tank, the carby, fuel pump and fuel filter are all full.

The cooling system has been filled with coolant.

Just to be on the safe side and ensure that it cranks over as hard as it can and starts as quick as it can I've borrowed a second battery from my brother and we will be connecting that to the normal battery with a set of jumper leads.

Here's hoping for a successful first run.

Bob

Return to “Main Room”