Re: Mystress - back up and running!

Postby Nick » 28 Feb 2010, 20:40

Hi Neil
It might be easier to fit a smaller prop than pull the V Drive apart again

Nick

nool

Postby nool » 28 Feb 2010, 21:56

I did consider that, but I don't think I can be bothered playing around with it for a while. I'm just happy that its running again.
I think 50 mph is pretty good considering that it is a displacement V-hull capable of carrying 4 people. Besides, I think the current ratio would work quite well with a centrifugal supercharger bolted to the engine :twisted:

Cheers!

Nick

Postby Nick » 28 Feb 2010, 23:12

I was wondering if you were thinking that!
Dave has the supercharger off the merlin at the moment
maybe you could ask him for a lend

Nick

ED174

Postby ED174 » 01 Mar 2010, 17:49

Neil,
just tinkering a bit with the boat this week so hopefully it will be ready for a splash this weekend. We usually head out for the early ski before the wind & crowds show, float around & enjoy that scenery you speak of then head back around 11 ish. You just about drive past my door if you put in at Akuna. We are at Terrey Hills. Whats your ETA if you head down on the weekend.
Ed

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 01 Mar 2010, 20:57

yeh i agree 50 is good enough, forget the supercharger, run some small turbos and get free power, run a water to air intercooler and watch the power go thru the roof.

a boat called orsm runs a toyota v8 with twin turbos, runs 100mph easy and super reliable. maybe 100 is abit much but its there for the taking.
only problem with the turbos is they will rob you of that beautiful sound and quietn the boat abit

brian

nool

Postby nool » 02 Mar 2010, 09:17

Hey Ed,
We'll probably be rocking up about the time that you're leaving. You want me out of bed when !!??? :shock: Do you put the boat in at Apple tree bay? I was thinking of trying that out instead of Akuna....

Brian,
I've decided to stay away from turbos in boats due to heat concerns. Its one of the reasons I moved away from the turbo rotary. The power was awesome but the amount of heat generated in a confined (wooden) space was scary. I did heaps of work with heat shields, etc but I was still never 100% happy with it. There is one small area on the engine bearer where the wood has started to turn dark brown due to the heat. Not good! For my next experiment I'm going to try the belt driven centrifugal as they won't produce anywhere near as much heat and I'll still get to keep the whole exhaust system water cooled. Don't forget there's no such thing as free power. While a supercharger is stealing power from the crank, the turbos are stealing it from exhaust back pressure.... Don't get me wrong, I love turbos (my Valiant is turbo charged! See below)
P1010242 (Small).JPG
P1010242 (Small).JPG (65.19 KiB) Viewed 6654 times

But I'm going to try something new....

Cheers!

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 02 Mar 2010, 20:25

yeh ya steal my heart every time. hahaha
love the engine for the valiant. very impressive.

wat sort of belt driven supercharger are you going to try????? i know a guy who tried two sc14 chargers on his toyota v8 soarer and it wasnt very impressive at all. let alone the amount of heat the turbos made due to the fact they had to spin so hard to create descent boost,

he ended up dumping them and now runs a yella terra set up with intercooler mounted between the charger and the manifold. works great and made 320ish horsepower at the tyres very easy .

as my engine builder says an engine without boost aint worth building any more. cant wait to see what ya come up with

brian

nool

Postby nool » 03 Mar 2010, 16:51

I feel better now. I got rid of the extra weight on board (ladder, spare anchor, etc..) and went out for a quick burn this arvo on my own. Just touched 55mph at about 4,800 rpm. Getting better and I know there's more potential there... Pretty confident I'll get 60 with the right ratio's :)

Cheers !

Nick

Postby Nick » 03 Mar 2010, 18:09

Gee I hope your wife doesnt reed this forum Neil

"I feel better now. I got rid of the extra weight on board"

ED174

Postby ED174 » 03 Mar 2010, 21:45

Neil, might head out on Saturday but start a little later as i do like a sleep in after a week of hard labour. Yeh , put in at Akuna then head up to Appletree to pick up my mate & muck around in that vicinity before heading back to Akuna & home. So maybe cross paths & i`m sure we`ll spot eachother in our old classics.
Ed.

Return to “Main Room”