Mystress - back up and running!

All things general in here
nool

Mystress - back up and running!

Postby nool » 22 Feb 2010, 14:08

Hi All,
Finally Mystress is back up and running with Lexus V8 power.
We had a 5 day holiday on a houseboat last week at the Myall lakes and I finished it with 1 day to spare....
So far the Toyota / Lexus V8 seems to be a good thing and it sure sounds better than the rotary 8-)
I'm trying to get some video footage up on you-pube....
P2150009.JPG
P2150009.JPG (109.72 KiB) Viewed 9136 times

P2150001.JPG
P2150001.JPG (107.05 KiB) Viewed 9133 times

P2170027.JPG
P2170027.JPG (64.36 KiB) Viewed 9111 times

Cheers

Neil

viteau

Re: Mystress - back up and running!

Postby viteau » 22 Feb 2010, 17:07

Neil
Your boat looks great! just the perfect tender. I look forward to seeing it on youtube.
Cheers Chris

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 22 Feb 2010, 18:51

hey neil
great to see ya boat going again, did it all run smoothly or do you have some work to sort it out???? how does it go compared to the rotary???

brian

nool

Postby nool » 22 Feb 2010, 21:14

Hey Brian,
Everything went smoothly although I need to do a bit of fine tuning. I need to make a bigger transmission oil cooler. I also need to swap the V-Drive ratios back to 8% overdrive (from 8% underdrive to suit the rotary). The acceleration with the V8 at the moment is crazy!!! But top end is slower than the rotary. Will hopefully test again this weekend. Anyone in Sydney going for a run this weekend ???

Cheers!

Neil

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 23 Feb 2010, 09:17

Neil

Great to see the Mystress back on the water. I reckon you could safely do a name change now to Lesstress.

I remember the performance was "special" with the rotary, I reckon now it will very special and as you say, with the right noise to match.

These engine implants are a credit to you.

Greg

nool

Postby nool » 23 Feb 2010, 16:17

I've put up a slightly dodgy video on youtube. The picture is a bit crap coz its taken on a digital camera but the sound is still pretty cool....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW1BTV7yiME

Cheers!

Neil

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 23 Feb 2010, 17:58

hey neil, are you running a water to oil cooler or just a car type cooler???
ive got an oil to water job on my clinker and it works realy well.

what have you done to the gear box in your boat??? ive jut got my power glide converted to a full manual with reverse pattern and are going to run a convertor. be interested to see what you have done to yours.

i watched ya video and it sounds great, love the sound of the engine but i like the sound from the v drive more. im going to have to have a good look at your boat sometime. cant beat a v drive v8 in a woody. with my v drive im running 18% gears so its going to be interesting to see how it goes getting out of the water with the turbos spooling up.
you have done a great job and hope the fine tuning goes well. its great to see different way people build boats

brian

nool

Postby nool » 23 Feb 2010, 21:57

I totally agree. One of my favourite things about boats (particularly old ones) is that no two boats are the same as every builder and owner puts their own input into the craft.
I made my own oil cooler for the gearbox which is basically a coiled 5/16th copper line in a stainless canister with coolant water flowing through it. Its a bit small though so I'm making a slightly larger version. The gearbox is a bog standard Velvet Drive so no converter.

You're based in Vic aren't you? I'll be bringing Mystress to the Nats this year though so if you're coming to that I'll take you for a spin :D

Cheers!

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 23 Feb 2010, 22:18

kool. im going to the nats with two boats this year. the ride sounds like good fun and i'll hold u to that. i forgot you changed the auto tranny to a velvet drive. im from victoria but once i get my clinker up and running i'll head up for a cruise with ya.
it excites me to see different engines in boats, i love the old chevs and even earlier y blocks to look at but ya cant beat a new toyota or nissan v8. at the southern80 there was a race boat called " something different " with a twin turbo toyota 4l with twin turbos blowing thru an intercooled manifold. it was great to look at a boat that someone tried to be differet with and see how they did things. thats the avenue ive gone down with my clinker although ive used a 308 when i originally was going to use a toyota v8. anyway enough babble. get some more videos and pics up of the finished conversion so i can dream of starting a new build with some technology inside,

brian

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 24 Feb 2010, 08:59

Neil. Ill put Cassata in the water on Sunday at Windsor if you want to bring your boat along. Suzie is working so it will be just Bronte and I. Dave

Return to “Main Room”