Firing up the motor

All things general in here
osprey

Firing up the motor

Postby osprey » 16 Sep 2015, 21:41

Hi all,
Have finally got to the stage where I'll be able to give my project's old Chrysler 318
a kick in the guts in the next few days.
It was sitting for about 12 months or more before l got it...and it's taken me another 12 months to get it in and ready to go.
Just after any pointers/ suggestions of what l should do /check before l crank it up.
Water hoses etc have all been replaced.....have installed a "garden hose fitting " intake...
new sump gasket and oil....new fuel filter and lines.
Carby ( Holley) l haven't touched ..not sure ??
Was thinking l should turn the motor over just to lube everything up before firing it up ??
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Reklaw

Re: Firing up the motor

Postby Reklaw » 22 Sep 2015, 12:05

A bit of time has passed since you asked the question, you may have already fired her up by now. Anyway, this is what I would have done.

1. Pull the plugs out.
2. Squirt a little WD40 in each plug hole.
3. Turn the motor over by hand a few times to let the rings get the feel of the bore again.
4. I'd probably pull the carburettor apart and replace all gaskets and clean out any crud that may have settled in the bowls.
5. Turn the motor over with the starter for a while to get oil pressure up and to get fuel into the carburettor.
6. Have a look at the points to make sure they're clean, not burnt and have correct gap. (I'm assuming that timing is still ok)
7. Check plug gaps or if possible get new plugs.
8. Stick the plugs in, hit the starter and sit back and listen to the music.

BobW

osprey

Postby osprey » 23 Sep 2015, 18:57

Thanks Bob,
Actually haven't fired the old girl up yet...
Slight delay with work commitments , then needed to get end cap of starter motor solenoid replaced
as one of the threads/studs was so short couldn't get new connection , washer and nut on...
and now I'm up in FNQ "suffering " in glorious 29 degrees for a week or so before the pre-xmas work onslaught .
Will take up your suggestions, especially with the carby, and get into it when l get back...
I'll have a few brownie points for a day in the shed by then and clients will hopefully think I'm still away for the extra day !
Thanks again for your suggestions, Steven

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 23 Sep 2015, 22:57

#9 Bob is a can of .... Aerostart

Return to “Main Room”