EGT Pyrometer

All things general in here
The Spook

EGT Pyrometer

Postby The Spook » 14 Jul 2015, 20:27

Has any one had any experience with using a EGT Pyrometer as a tuning aid for their engine?

Bob

Alan

Re: EGT Pyrometer

Postby Alan » 14 Jul 2015, 22:44

Bob, they are best used for checking when the valve heads are about to melt off the stems (prob more used in diesels). Not really a tuning aid as such, if you want to check mixture use O2 sensor, if you want to tune for max power, adjust spark and fuel and measure the result (dyno).

The only time I would look for one with yours would be to check temps for doing something sustained like the B2B, as opposed to around turn buoys.

The Spook

Re: EGT Pyrometer

Postby The Spook » 17 Jul 2015, 15:55

Alan

I've already got an air/fuel ratio gauge set up in the boat, unfortunately so far I've not been able to get a reading from it. I tried at the Forster Boaties but was unsuccessful. At this stage I have been modifying the way it is wired and cabled in as I think that was what the problem was. Sitting in the garage it now appears to work and remember what it is reading, (it has a memory), which was what the problem was at Forster, it kept turning itself off (hence no Reading). I suspect that the cable that plugs into the rear of the gauge was bouncing around and causing the plug to disconnect intermittently. This issue has now been rectified, I hope.

In the last week I have had a discussion with a person from the fuel company whose fuel I am now using and he poohoo'd the whole air/fuel ratio gauge idea completely and told me that I should get rid of it and get an EGT Pyrometer gauge, hence my original question. His view was that (amateur) engine tuners like myself should purely work with the exhaust gas temperature.

At this stage I have ordered an EGT Pyrometer Gauge (autometer) with a memory and when it arrives I will install it and we will see what we can get the pair of them to tell me.

Interestingly while at Forster I had a discussion with Bruce Sanders who has a boat called Red bellies with a turbocharged 3 ltr Toyota engine reputedly 1500hp. He uses EGT Pyrometers in each exhaust header and tries to keep each cylinder between 700 degrees C and 750 degrees C whilst racing. He has a laptop computer which he plugs into the engine management system and if a cylinder strays outside of the desired parameters he can adjust the individual injector for that cylinder.

Bob

Return to “Main Room”