Winter fixes

All things general in here
screwit

Winter fixes

Postby screwit » 13 May 2015, 19:05

So is every one working hard on there boats and keeping secrets from us.
No one got time to let us know what's going on in your shed ?
Ross

bootlegger

Re: Winter fixes

Postby bootlegger » 13 May 2015, 19:52

We are working on rhonda babe with what resources I have.

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 13 May 2015, 21:40

My Winter fix is my back! I had a back operation just after the Aquafest and as a result am very restricted in what I'm allowed to do at the moment. We'll see what the surgeon says on Friday, hopefully I'll be able to get stuck into finishing Dad's boat, Lowanna, and have it at Narrandera. I have managed to sell 2 boats during the down time though.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 14 May 2015, 11:24

Can't do much on boats from here (in Canada and Alaska) for the next week or so. :mrgreen:

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 14 May 2015, 14:25

I had Jim around on Monday checking out the fleet . I have been fitting up the hull adjusting system which has a bracket on the shaft log bolts and two threaded rods to a angle frame between the bearers . It was on the hull when i stripped it out but was all rusted up . I have only had it in the water once and it wasn't a great day but it seemed to be fairly bouncy .I have adjusted the cav plate and as the setup was there i have set it up to see if it can help . Something to try at Narrandra .
Ken

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 14 May 2015, 20:25

Not looking forward to it but Resurrected needs her warm up clutch seen to as it refused to hold last time out. While the box is out a re-varnish of the inside and a repaint of the hull is called for. Grumpy is just going to sit there over the winter. She is used to that :D

retroboat

Postby retroboat » 14 May 2015, 21:16

have been working on the black skiff each night carefully sanding looking for a name have sanded top 2 planks on port side. will probably brace the hull as it has no deck and get a few mates to help me turn her over so I can sand all planks and assess what needs to be done to repair them.
will have room in the shed for her at the end of next week so I don't have to sand outside in the cold and dark by halogen lamp. has been a bit cold lately so it will be happy to have her in the shed which has a very efficient wood heater so I can put some late nights in.
will keep you all up to date as the restoration/rebuild progresses.
Nathan.

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 15 May 2015, 11:55

Work that is being or has been done to The Spook

1/ I have sourced a taller set of gears for the gearbox (currently 22% step up, will be 32% step up), not in yet.

2/ Larger carburetor, it was a 750 Holley, it is now a 870 Holley. The engine was literally running out of air at 7200 rpm. It should now pull to the rev limiter (we hope) which is currently set at 7700 rpm.

3/ Have moved the battery from the front of the boat to behind the driver. This will lighten the load on the sponsons, as well as adding some load onto the prop and hopefully slow down the rise of the prop out of and onto the surface of the water under acceleration.

4/ I have ordered a lighter stainless steel heat exchanger which is specifically designed for enclosed boat engine cooling systems. Also to lighten the load on the sponsons. The one that is in it now is cast iron and weighs a heap.

All this should help its top end performance, after all, hydro's are about top end speed.

Bob

Damo

Postby Damo » 16 May 2015, 10:45

Hey Guys, I have been busywith work but managed last weekend on the boat Mothers Day and all :shock: :shock:

- Installed both of the bilge pumps
- Installed all the guages into the facia and wired up
- Ran all electrical wiring throughout the boat and conected up to a central fuse box
- Installed the new starter motor
- Installed pretronix electronic pick up to dizzy
- installed the cav plate backing plate
- Mounted battery isolater into the front seat
- Dropped off the centre console for covering
- Mounted some snazzy looking finned breathers to the finned rocker cover

I have still got this old vintage Hydro on the hook so steady does it with that one.

Cheers, Damo

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 18 May 2015, 19:21

Slow and so steady! However if you are bored and wanting real entertainment check out Ozboatracers site, under nostalgia, some history of miss Bud posted fir May 15, in it there is an awesome video from 1974 of 5 hardcore racing laps! Great racing, enjoy, cheers!

Return to “Main Room”