atomic countdown

All things general in here
bootlegger

atomic countdown

Postby bootlegger » 31 Mar 2014, 22:10

Ive almost finished screwing the new engine for atomic.
Motown block. 4340 327 crank , h beam rods, forged pistons 450 hp alloy heads. 3 stage dry sumped.
All new. Hopefully this engine last longer than my usual couple of minutes.
How many days to goolwa?

Thommo

Re: atomic countdown

Postby Thommo » 31 Mar 2014, 22:52

12 :shock:
All the best Dave, It will give the locals a thrill to see 'Ol' Stoney' / 'Atomic' return to Goolwa for the weekend.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 06 Apr 2014, 11:34

I got the engine in last night came in from the shed at 2am. The 12 x 3 oregan beam is officially rated to carry a complete sbc. Im still missing the fuel pump my mate has for it.
I have a stock one which will at least make it run. I hope h shows up with it I cant get another one before the weekend.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 07 Apr 2014, 21:10

After a really frustrating day where I had to pull the engine back out atomic fired straight up.
Sounds like a wild animal.
Tommorrow ill run in the cam and put the inner valves springs in and hopefully ill give it a run down the river.
If its goes ok ill head off to goolwa on thursday.
Fingers crossed. Im only coming with a boat. If it all goes pear shaped im out.
Im not going to be a spectator so far from home.

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 07 Apr 2014, 21:55

Be positive Dave - it'll go like a rocket. I've currently got Rebound up on axle stands, the tyres are stuffed (had a slow air leak in one and the tyre man says the rubber is older then me!) so I'm not prepared to risk a long trip to wind up stranded on the side of the road. New tyres will go on the rims Thursday and we'll pack up & head off after work Thursday night. Hull is soaking up & sealing nicely too. No point being ready too soon.

Bob

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 07 Apr 2014, 22:17

Bob its not that I mean to be negative. Ive been working on this engine for the last three weeks. Everything has gone wrong with it. My family hasnt seen me the whole time.
My customers are screaming at me for there jobs that I havent done and ive got three hundred dollars left in the bank.
Im hoping I get some money from two guys on wed. One im doing a job for and another who bought some carbys for two hundred dollars off ebay.
I wish I had the money for two new tyres for the trailer.
Ill be taking two spares instead. Im still happy th at atomic is going again after three years.

markh5000

Postby markh5000 » 14 Apr 2014, 16:04

Hi all (but especially Bob and Dave),

I have been following this discussion in the lead up to Aquafest and thought I would just pop an oar in the water and say how much I appreciate the effort you guys made for this, and every other event.

For mine, Atomic and Rebound were the stars of the show. In fact, I would be fairly confident in saying that without them there simply wouldn't have been a show. The passion they evoke is priceless, and if you had been sitting next to me on the bank, you would have heard just how happy the spectators were that you were doing your thing.

Of course, the same can be said for all of the participants, but I thought that it might make some of the difficulties you had to overcome a little more palatable. So thank you, and I take my hat off to you.

Cheers,

Mark

PS, I got some good photos of the event, and I will post them up when I can.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 14 Apr 2014, 18:08

Thanks for the kind words mark. If it was for you guys at goolwa running an event for our types of boats all our effort would be for nothing.
I love running at goolwa and even though this whole adventure has been a physical and financial strain im glad we did it. My family are happy. I just noiced one of my rear tyres has a huge bubble in in so scotty (hifi) will get a little more out of me tommorrow.
I only put these tyres on a few months ago.

Hifi

Postby Hifi » 14 Apr 2014, 20:03

Hi Dave
The address is 933 Marion rd Mitchell park.
Do you need 2 or three tyres for the car
Scott

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 14 Apr 2014, 21:05

Scott ill have to work it out. I might get the two fronts and put the spare on the rear.
Ill take the rear one off and see if I can get a warranty when I get home.

Return to “Main Room”