is anyone good with holleys on 202's, now with pics

All things general in here
bauchy

is anyone good with holleys on 202's, now with pics

Postby bauchy » 12 Nov 2009, 08:03

hey guys, ive finally got my 202 running in my bondwood boat.

we have set it up with a 465 holley ( 4 barrel ) due to the engine having abit of work.
we have got the engine to idle and run ok on the primarys but for some reason it wont rev any harder then 3500rpm. on the trailer it will rev to 6000rpm no problems at all but once its under load it doesnt want to play. we have tried everything to get it running right but am not having any luck.

has any one played with these things??? any help would be great so i can go skiing sooner rather then later.

thanks
brian
Last edited by bauchy on 12 Nov 2009, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

Doc

Re: is anyone good with holleys on 202's

Postby Doc » 12 Nov 2009, 12:02

Hi Brian,
Does carby have vacuum seconderies ? Distributor vacuum advance ?
When she reaches 3.5k rpm does she back fire?
Doc.

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 12 Nov 2009, 15:42

hey doc,
the carby has vacuum secondries. when it gets to 3.5 some times it backfires but more often it sounds like the timing is miles out. just realy flat,

ive spoken to a guy in melbourne from a carby joint, he seems to think the primarys are over jetted and the secondrys are sucking fuel from there which then floods it which wont in turn let it rev.

what are you thnking doc???

brian

Doc

Postby Doc » 12 Nov 2009, 16:40

Hi Brian,
It sounds like you are starving for fuel, i had the same problem with my BBC after installing a holley HP carb. Changed 3 distributors thinking it was timing problem, until i knocked the fuel switch accidentally which created the same kick back at 3k rpm. After watching a few jet boats and inspecting their carby setup, Extended fuel bowls [rear] with jet extensions. I went this way with mine and have never had a problem since. With 465 holley , fuel bowls inline with motor, i would try carby wedge tilting up at the back end of boat.
Easy way to fine out clamp fuel line or turn fuel off.
Doc.

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 12 Nov 2009, 18:16

hey doc,
im pretty sure the carby has enough fuel. im running a holley red electric pump which should be putting enough into the bowls. the floats are set right so i think that side of things are ok. when we first got it running we went from a 63 size jet to a 68 just so it would have enough fuel to get it idleing. ive spoken to holley performance in melbourne and they said most 465s on 202s will run a 63 jet and have plenty of fuel so they are sure there is something else a miss. im going to take it off and freight it down to them and get it reco;d and set up to what they think it needs, they are also going to put a flange spring access cover on it so its not such a big job to change the spring if need be.

they seem to think the 465 will be good for the engine so i guess atleast making it new will be a good start. in the mean time ive started ripping the old deck off and will replace that along with building a new floor for it, making new seats and then getting it all trimmed up and carpeted. hopefuly by the end off next week it will be running sweet and will be at the trimmers.

i'll let ya know how the carby goes once i get it back all reco'd

brian

Doc

Postby Doc » 12 Nov 2009, 18:44

Hi Brian,
When the boat sits down at the back ether sitting or under acceleration the fuel in the bowl will rush towards the rear away from the jets. No Fuel back fire.
Doc. [Just remember she runs fine on the trailer.]

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 12 Nov 2009, 21:24

hey doc,

the boat runs flatter then any boat ive ever been in, ive got a carby wedge on it so the carby sits flat just like in a car. i'll stick some pics up and show you how its set up

brian

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii18 ... GP2789.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii18 ... GP2790.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii18 ... GP2791.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii18 ... GP2792.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii18 ... GP2793.jpg

Batesy

Re: is anyone good with holleys on 202's, now with pics

Postby Batesy » 15 Nov 2009, 23:09

Brian,
are you going to run a water cooled exhaust manifold? Might be scary without one.
Cheers,
Andrew

bauchy

Re: is anyone good with holleys on 202's, now with pics

Postby bauchy » 16 Nov 2009, 13:28

hey batesy,
no water cooled manifold for this one. ive had it running for an hour and it doesnt get as hot as ya think it would, the water from the engine goes into the exhuast abit past the flange. its all cast and steam pipe manifold which seems to hold the heat in allot better then stainless or plain steel. i couldnt find a water cooled manifold that would flow good enough for the engine so i made the pipes that are on it. they started life as a set of x2 holden headers which i cut up and welded the bends onto to get the shape we needed.

see how it goes once i have the carby issue sorted anyway

brian

Return to “Main Room”