Any Info on This ?

All things general in here
casandra

Re: Any Info on This ?

Postby casandra » 25 Feb 2014, 23:15

Thanks Thommo, I am still learning on what things are called, see how i go, are you talking about the the aluminium screwed on the wings that go part way along the wing ?
I know what you are talking about in the wedges, we have them in another boat we have got, and will be doing the same with this one, when we take out all the cracked ribs and replace them we will add the wedges, thinks thats why the ribs cracked to start with.

Is clenching the bent over rivets, dad said today the spread is bent rivet, then four ribs, then bent over rivet and so on., When the boat comes over to my place , i will be able to take more pics on things.

Cheers

tommo

Postby tommo » 26 Feb 2014, 09:10

G'day steve,Yes clenching is the bending of the copper nail it is bent over a bit of 5 mill rod and nailed back into the wood,my boat has nearly the same roving pattern but where yours are clenched my boat is roved the same as the rib but they are in the middle of the plank,the little wings (for the lack of a better name) they are usualy about a meter long,i have only seen the wedgeing of the ribs on lewis hulls. I think the only advantidge to clenching is that it is faster,and very handy were you can not use your roving gear but it can split the rib if the clench follows the grain of the rib,cheers

casandra

Postby casandra » 26 Feb 2014, 21:27

Thanks Tommo, the other boat we have that have the wedges, is not a lewis apparently, it has a straight back then slopes in with an eyebrow on the top, will get a picture when i can, gets all confusing guess i will work it out eventually :D
With the wings, i went over to Dads today and he has stripped the paint of one side of the boat hoping to see a name or number no luck :( under the layer of paint was the original stain, that wing is one piece of wood from front to back and doesnt look to be added after. will add a picture soon.

Cheers

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 26 Feb 2014, 21:57

Hi Steve, as long as you enjoy the boats thats the main thing, although its always nice to find out some history and who built them. There were also lots of people building boats back then too. Some built very few & maybe just for themselves, as my grandfather did. Others built many but as has been discussed on here before even they didn't build two exactly the same. My understanding of the clenched nails with Everinghams was to hold the planks in place before going through & roving the rest. They were about 15 to 18 inches apart. Happy to be corrected.
Dave

casandra

Postby casandra » 26 Feb 2014, 22:41

Thanks Dave, is that going up and down or across that measurement ?

Image[/URL]

tommo

Postby tommo » 27 Feb 2014, 09:32

Hi Steve, Dave is right, enjoy the restoration, It is still a good looking boat and will come up a treat cheers

Return to “Main Room”