1962 Seacraft

All things general in here
WoodRay

Re: 1962 Seacraft

Postby WoodRay » 20 Feb 2014, 10:51

bootlegger wrote:Welcome to the dark side mate.your life is now over. No mass produced things like old holdens here. Strictly one off masterpieces.

Thanks Dave. Hopefully its not all over yet!! We've still got the EK to go and possibly a house move this year! Nothing like being busy hey! :roll:

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 20 Feb 2014, 10:55

screwit wrote:Just remember if you want to restore it back to original , Seacraft had there own conversion cast up for the grey and the red. having there name on it .
If it was fitted out buy seacraft it would have it on the conversion and no dog clutch.
I would stay with the red even by placing a 149 decal on the rocker cover to keep it some where near right for the boat. but if you do go grey keep the red just in case.

Thanks Screwit for the info.
By any chance would you or would you know of any other members that would have any pictures of the Seacraft Grey conversion set up or components.

Cheers

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 20 Feb 2014, 10:57

jimc56 wrote:Hi Craig, I would tend to agree with the advice from Ken and screw it about leaving a red motor in as you will have a much more usable boat. I have a 186 in my Seacraft and it is great. If you want to go for a grey motor you would best look for the seacraft castings for originality. The marine gear I have is a bit agricultural. I have put a couple of photos up of your boat in mid 90's. If you want to contact me my number is 0412680303. Jim

Thanks for the Pics Jim. Cheers.

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 20 Feb 2014, 11:10

Ricshaw wrote:Hey Craig , welcom to the fray.
I rescued my TS Seacraft ,Ricshaw, about 7 years ago and have had a ball with it.
Easy boat to maintain and stands up to a fair thrash ,with a lot of members having a go.
I reciently bought a 68 ,140 Bridge Deck ,like yours ,last year sans running gear, unfortunately there
is rot in the bottom which is now being repaired whilst I chase said running gear.
As advised by others in the club I am also an advocate of the red motor and would "stick" with it.
Look forward to meeting up sometime .
Ric...

Hi Ric,
I'd love to see some pictures of your 140.
Thanks for the advice re Red V Grey. I'm starting to see a lot of aversion to having a grey. I gather this is due to parts/costs/less power etc. I'm a fan of the Grey for my own reasons and I'm fairly capable of building a decent torquey engine that would be quite usable in my boat.
Yep, I'm looking forward to getting into the boat scene and meeting others and seeing more!
Cheers.
Craig.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 20 Feb 2014, 13:54

Craig

I think your boat was named Splinter when in NSW, with rego of KX60N

Greg

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 02 Mar 2014, 22:27

Found this underneath the deck today whilst fixing the wiring behind the dash. Looks to be a late 62 early 63 Seacraft from the date written.
Anyone recognise the name?

DSC00851.JPG
DSC00851.JPG (31.96 KiB) Viewed 9759 times

Darren

Postby Darren » 03 Mar 2014, 22:27

Pretty common amougst the seacraft boats to sign under here.
Generally find Peter Adcock's name under there, but have seen
this name, Pete has told he about this guy, but cant remember the story.....
Ill ask next time we talk
Cheers Darren

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 06 Mar 2014, 21:48

Thanks Darren & Greg.

Spent a little time this week sorting the exhaust system removing old burnt rubber hose and replacing the entire length with stainless. Not happy with the working oil level at the rear (front) of the engine. Seems the crank has spent its entire time smacking itself in the oil. Most likely a cause of the bearing failure due to aeration of the oil. Now looking at doing a partial dry sump system and also heat exchanger conversion to the cooling system.
The two red lines show the min and max set oil levels and the yellow line is the low point of the counterweights and conrods in the sump. I'm somewhat cautious on doing the dry sump and starving the thrust bearing of oil in the process. Any thoughts out there on this?
DSC00856.jpg
DSC00856.jpg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 9594 times

DSC008571.jpg
DSC008571.jpg (37.92 KiB) Viewed 9595 times

I also continued on with spending a lot of time going through and checking the wiring and thankfully so. Initial built wiring on the boat is excellent with all joints soldered and heat shrinked well. I couldn't believe in finding later wiring done to such a poor standard. Would you believe of all things such as the bilge pump was installed with its main supply and earth wires just twisted together and taped up?
Hopefully the engine block machining will be done by next Thursday and I'll be able to make a start at putting it together. Re-jetting and fitting of correct chokes for the DCOE weber is done but I'm still waiting on F2 emulsion tubes. Love these webers and looking forward to some tuning runs to see how she'll perform.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 06 Mar 2014, 22:34

You could run a scavenge line sucking around the thrust. You should still get oil around it then.
I dont think the carnk splashing in the oil caused your problems.
They have been setting up the engines like that for years.
You could turn the engine around and run a z drive. That solves your worry of the crankshaft and will also make it real easy to freshwater cool it.
Off course all this extra stuff adds weight and makes things really complicated with more things to go wrong.

Alan

Postby Alan » 07 Mar 2014, 06:28

WoodRay wrote:
screwit wrote:Just remember if you want to restore it back to original , Seacraft had there own conversion cast up for the grey and the red. having there name on it .
If it was fitted out buy seacraft it would have it on the conversion and no dog clutch.
I would stay with the red even by placing a 149 decal on the rocker cover to keep it some where near right for the boat. but if you do go grey keep the red just in case.

Thanks Screwit for the info.
By any chance would you or would you know of any other members that would have any pictures of the Seacraft Grey conversion set up or components.

Cheers

This is an old pic of the seacraft thrust housing and water pump pulley, not sure about the exhaust this one is a Tawco

postlong2a.jpg
postlong2a.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 9543 times

Alan.

Return to “Main Room”