Pagan

All things general in here
Wildwoody1

Re: Pagan

Postby Wildwoody1 » 17 Mar 2014, 10:50

If you still have problems after going through the Fuel system it,s time to check the Fire system. Systematically , one part at a time .
Ignitions can and do break down under load conditions while seeming to be perfect at low load.

Wildwoody1

hookster

Postby hookster » 19 Mar 2014, 09:56

Got one of those 308's laying around doing nothing Spook? I know a bloke up Balranald way who'd like to slot one in under his 253 rocker covers...Jon.

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 19 Mar 2014, 17:08

At the moment I've only got one 308 block and its all filled to the brim. I do have three 253 blocks but they are for a rainy day.

I did hear a story from a "reliable source" that a guy once took a 308 and changed the numbers on the side to read 253 somehow. Apparently he was competing in a 253 class. I wonder how long it took the scrutineers to work that out.

Spook

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 24 Mar 2014, 21:54

Spent some time going through Pagans problems one by one today, starting with the starter motor. Pulled it down, cleaned and adjusted the contactors and it seems fine, yesterday i was conviced it was dead! Next, hooked up water (again) and run it with no compression lockup this time, but with the water cooling for the exhausts turned off. So..took it off to Pykes creek to give it a run while stapped to the trailer. Ran it for about 10 min. again...no problems ( by the way Hookster it didn't wind up on the car roof! in fact it didn't move bugger all.) So emboldened by the fact that it was running AND in the water I thought why not go for a run. You guessed it...100 yards and dead as a maggot. It's taking the pi5s out of me i know it! When i finished rowing back to the ramp i checked the plugs and they were black as buggery, so cleaned them and gave it another run on the trailer and noticed a fine fuel mist coming from the mouths of the carbies, i thought they were supposed to suck air in! Could the plug fouling could be over fueling or weak spark, how do i check spark strength without getting barbequed. The mechanical pump will obviously pump more fuel as the revs rise and that would be enough to overfuel it but the bl#ody thing ran with this exact setup! Something has changed and that could be less spark.....who knows. Anyway, back in the shed and back in disgrace.

JamesW

Postby JamesW » 24 Mar 2014, 22:46

"The mechanical pump will obviously pump more fuel as the revs rise and that would be enough to overfuel it"

No this is not correct, a mechanical pump supplies fuel at the constant pressure of the spring below the diaphragm, the diaphragm is pulled down against the spring and the spring dose the work at a constant rate/pressure the cam/lever/pump arm dose not act directly on the diaphragm, this pressure should be low enough that the float/needle and seat will block fuel into the bowls, if this is not happening then fuel will be flowing out of the top of the carb everywhere. Mechanical pumps will generally run out of supply/volume when pushed.

Running without load is way different to loaded (in the water). I would be checking the enrichment circuit for over fueling, this is governed by vacuum, so a blockage in a port would cause a too rich mixture. Hope I'm not talking jibberish here, will read back through the thread and see what carbs you are running.

Amal's, from what I can see there is no vacuum circuit to control enrichment, there is an air valve but this seems to be cable controlled and act as a choke, can this be adjusted or move without manual input?

Wildwoody1

Postby Wildwoody1 » 25 Mar 2014, 09:05

RAY, Once the jet size is set and I believe you still have the original fitted mixture adjustment is done by moving the needles up or down.This adjusts the flow through the range and creates a constant change. They simply have a groove and clip.

The "fuel stand off" is normal for high lift cams. Remember you have an engine thats been tuned as four single cylinders. Much more sensitive than any single carb / V8 type.

As for the ignition, Points condition /adjustment , condenser , coil , wiring , distributor and away you go.

Good luck
Wildwoody1

tommo

Postby tommo » 25 Mar 2014, 09:15

Hi Ray Being Amals you need the help of a B.S.A Triumph or Norton,Bike lover Amals usually give up there secrets on the side of the road
at 3 0'clock in the morning in the pouring rain,you can see by the fire that has started from the float bowl leaking fuel on to the magi as you kick it it over good luck.

Wildwoody1

Postby Wildwoody1 » 25 Mar 2014, 09:53

Ray, Thommo mentions a Magneto , if you do have one they can and do loose spark ability and need servicing to fix. There are Auto Electrical shops that do this still.
As for all the supposed problems of Amal carbs , just the fear of the unknown.

Wildwoody1

tommo

Postby tommo » 25 Mar 2014, 10:33

No Fear of the unknown Mate, 2nd degree burns on my hands to get the tank off the beeza before the whole bloody lot went up including me.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 25 Mar 2014, 18:10

The Magi is my next port of call, just need to find someone in Melb who can service it. this is not some after market unit but an original massey ferguson tractor unit. The jet ajustments are easy enough, and the position (top groove) at the moment is where the i get the least black smoke. Forgive my ignorance re the fuel pump, didn't know the fuel flow didn't increase with rpm...learn something new every day! Can't get my head around how something can run under load in the water on a trailer then not run when released from said trailer. One interesting thing that happened yesterday while at Pykes, were some gentlemen testing a blown 507 cube ski race boat who took an immediate interest in Pagan. It turns out that one of them was a member of the Learmonth speed boat club and believes he can put his hands on some old photo's that used to hang in the club rooms.......I live in hope! Thanks everyone for their ongoing support in the saga BOATS OF OUR LIVES. It's what makes this club so fantastic.

Return to “Main Room”