Pagan

All things general in here
Wildwoody1

Re: Pagan

Postby Wildwoody1 » 04 Feb 2014, 16:16

Ferguson Tractors are where it all started , but not totally identical twins.

Wildwoody1

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 04 Feb 2014, 20:00

I have an original workshop manual that was given to me in Yarrawonga by a gentleman from the Vanguard car club, an extremely kind gesture. After a thorough search, not one picture of the engine minus head. Finally found a grainy pic online that showed the missing section between 2 & 3 cylinders on an engine from a car being restored. What it's purpose is is anyone's guess, but mine is the same. From my understanding the engine in Pagan is a series three (by the engine no.) with a cross drilled crank. According to the Standard Vanguard website, this is the only engine ever made that was fitted to a tractor, sedan and sports car with minimum changes. Will do the valves, get a new copper head gasket and put it back together and see what happens. Thanks everyone for your input, muchly appreciated.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 08 Feb 2014, 14:47

Went out to a place called Auto Surplus today to pick up a new head gasket for Pagan, I took the head along for the ride to investigate the posibility of getting new intake valves as well. It seems the motor was more modified than i first thought, as it runs holden intake valves, springs and collets that have been modified to fit. The chap out there had to measure them up to identify them! The place is a gold mine for anything old and hard to get and the guys can't do enough to help. Now need to get the new valves shortened and new retaining grooves cut, so the motor won't be going back together this weekend, besides it's 40 plus degrees and closer to 45 in the shed. cheers all.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 08 Feb 2014, 17:12

If that sort of work can't be done anywhere near you I know someone that can do it for you.
Contact Eddie Woods at Headstud engineering in Capella Cres Moorabbin. He's a top guy and really knows his engines and especially cylinder heads. Eddie was originally at Perfectune a long time ago.

If you went to Auto Surplus in Rooks Rd that is just around the corner from me in Forest Hill. They are what remains of Vanguard Spares that were originally in Elizabeth St Melbourne opposite Autobarn near QV markets

Should have dropped me a line and come around. You could have seeen the progress on the Project, had a cool drink and escaped from this infernal heat for a while.
I'm near the corner of Springvale Rd and Canterbury Rd in Forest Hill
cheers
Peter

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 08 Feb 2014, 18:20

Thanks Peter, at this stage will see if my darling son will take it to work with him (James Race Engines) They build a mean engine but also do some high quality machining as well. If i'm out there again i will give you a call, had grand children with us today, wouldn't have inflicted that on anyone.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 08 Feb 2014, 19:01

They would have been OK we could have dunked them in the pool and then if that didnt slow them down, fed them to the border collie.

Next Time: peter 0428 547 398
cheers
PK

hudstub

Postby hudstub » 12 Feb 2014, 23:13

Ray,
I am restoring a 12 foot skiff by the name of Cindy. It raced with a Peugeot, running 4 Amal Monoblocks. I have been in contact with the owner of Cindy and he tells me;
Quote " we didn't use fuel pumps with Amals as they were prone to flooding. We pressurised the fuel tank with an inner tube, something like a 600/16 size. It fitted under the deck and used to last all day."
Not sure if this info is of any help with your fuel pump issue.
Cheers, Ray H.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 13 Feb 2014, 16:33

Thanks Ray, that is certainly worth looking at. Would have to do something with the fuel tank though, it barely hold fuel much less air pressure. I would still love to find the boats original owner or at least some info on how it raced so i can put it back to the way it was.
Ray R

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 20 Feb 2014, 19:49

Just a quick update on where Pagan is at. I now have a set of nicely machined valves that will go back into the head this weekend. I can't put the motor back together until i get the two new lifters i'm waiting on, then fingers crossed it's all systems go.

fatpigeon

Postby fatpigeon » 20 Feb 2014, 23:38

Good on you Ray , keep plugging away. It was nice to catch up on Tuesday all be it briefly. Thanks again for looking after Scimitar , we made it home in one piece.

Stuart

Return to “Main Room”