Rhonda Babe II

All things general in here
bootlegger

Re: Rhonda Babe II

Postby bootlegger » 22 Aug 2014, 20:19

Got a couple of days in on the skiff. I finally managed to find an 11 /16 plug cutter. All 80 of the plugs have been fitted and faired off. Today I steam bent the silver ash engine bay trims. Once they are trimmed and attached there is a little red cedar trimming and the hull is ready to varnish. I still havent decided whether to use traditional varnish or two pac. Im leaning to varnish. Its simply more flexible and moves with the hull.
Both Bob and I have had setbacks recently so neither of us have a launch date set.
In my case im totally lost and cant focus on anything. Life is pretty frustrating at the moment. This car accident is really messing with my mind. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 28 Aug 2014, 20:48

He might be down but he's not out. Dave's been putting some finishing touches to the trims around the engine bay. Here's a couple of pics.

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 28 Aug 2014, 23:07

Nice work guys.

Darren

Postby Darren » 28 Aug 2014, 23:22

Yes, starting to really look good.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 03 Sep 2014, 18:00

I finished all the wood work o the hull today. Im getting organised to start clearing the deck.
Im leaning towards using traditional varnish.
Although I like the ease of two pac finishes to apply over time I havent been happy when it cracks at joins or starts to peel off in sheets.
Maybe somebody could talk me around who has used a product that has served them well. Im still open to use something else.
One thing I wont be doing is sealing it with epoxy. After a few disasters on my boats and a few others that is an absolute no no for clear finishes.
I cant wait to see this hull shining.

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 03 Sep 2014, 18:07

I've always been massively impressed by the finish the Yanks achieve on their mahogany planked hulls. They are amazing. Any idea what they use Dave, particularly as the hulls and decks have heaps of long joins along the edge of the boards?

Bob

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 03 Sep 2014, 18:38

Bob they use normal varnish. At least ten coats. They then leave it for a couple of months then slice and buff.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 04 Sep 2014, 19:02

Got another decent day in today. Rhonda now has its first coat of varnish and the dash panel is now made also. Ive given up trying to find the bow piece so I made a pattern and im off to the foundry in the morning.
Im on a roll now with this.
I cant wait to see this one finally done. Its the only thing keeping me going atm.
If all else fails I know where there is an alloy headed 427 doing nothing. ;)

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 05 Sep 2014, 18:42

Two coats down, only 8 to go now. Looks totally awesome.

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 05 Sep 2014, 20:24

Looking so good guys. Is that the spray booth?

Bob

Return to “Main Room”