Rhonda Babe II

All things general in here
bootlegger

Rhonda Babe II

Postby bootlegger » 09 Nov 2013, 18:34

A few months ago Bob Walker (reklaw) contacted me wanting a skiff project. I didnt have anything for sale but worked out an arrangement where we restore the 18ft6 lewis skiff Rhonda Babe II I have and Bob gets to campaign it. Once a week we have been toiling away on it firstly getting the trailer ready and now we are onto the hull. As usual a straightforward job gets bigger but surprisingly this hul is pretty good so apart from the torture of retightening every nail it should be a real nice boat when done.
The boat always ran a big block chev but apart from one known pic not much is known about this hull owned and raced by Arthur Baker. It seems it didnt do too much racing as Arthur was running a hydroplane at the same time.
Its a mighty boat with a lot of presence. It should be awsome when done.
Goolwa here we come.

Reklaw

Re: Rhonda Babe II

Postby Reklaw » 09 Nov 2013, 21:03

Yeah, Goolwa 2014, bring it on.
Here's the one and only pic we have been able to find of the boat from its racing days. There's not much in the way of history found either so its career is a bit of an unknown, but we're still looking.

And here's how she looked the day we pulled her out of Dave's shed. She's a big bugger of a thing. Should leave a big hole in the water when she passes all those mouse powered skiffs.

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 12 Nov 2013, 08:29

What a boat - what a project! A big skiff with a big block is a very rare beast so it will be awesome to have Rhonda Babe II restored and on the water. Keep the photos of the restoration coming guys.

Bob

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 12 Nov 2013, 12:40

Thanks bob. I spoke to the guy I bought it off yesterday.
The whole history is a bit messy but this is what I know so far.
Arthur Baker owned the boat. Mal geegan had smashed his boat so his blown engine went into it and he raced it.
Something went wrong with the deal and the boat was sold less engine.
The new owner fitted another big block. That shot displayed shows the boat being towed by a bathurst rt charger.
The guy I boyght it off saw it running at Toronto.
Apparently an high ranking police officer approached the guy with a bag full of money and bought the boat.
It was used just for fun after that.
Eventually it ended up in dubbo and had the front cut out and turned into a ski boat.
It was renamed ups and downs..
Bob Carol bought the boat and then sold it to Lin Coulton who I bought it off.
He has done a lot of work to it including straightening the bottom.
We pulled the engine down yesterday. Its been fully rebuilt but we found some problems with the block which it consistent with some mechanical issues that the previuos owner had with it.
We are aiming for 600hp to drive the 30% overdrive in the box. Shoukd be good for 100mph if it handles ok.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 17 Nov 2013, 12:15

Graham Morley contacted greg and added more to the history of the boat.
Ken smith of the bendigo speed boat club bought the boat off arthur mainly for the engine as he had on order
An everingham hull which wasnt ready.
He also owned mooneyes and chickel.
He entered all three boats in the 69 vic championships.
Once he received history from bert everingham the engine was pulled from the skiff and it was sold.
On friday I primered the hull if the weather is good it might get some colour tommorrow.

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 20 Nov 2013, 20:10

Dave's been busy today today. The hull on Rhonds Babe II is now in colour. Here's a pic.

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 26 Nov 2013, 18:19

Dave its looking good.
Paul

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 26 Nov 2013, 19:54

Thanks mate. Next week ill get the trailer blasted and painted and the we can get it upright and put the deck on. I can wait to see this one done.

Darren

Postby Darren » 28 Nov 2013, 12:35

Yes, Dave looking good!
I wonder if Pigeon and Rayza noticed the little hydro on the wall?
Cheers
Darren

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 28 Nov 2013, 17:21

What about the skiff in the corner ;)

Return to “Main Room”