All things general in here
screwit

Re: Rhonda Babe II

Postby screwit » 09 Feb 2014, 12:55

I notice there is no reverse plank !

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 09 Feb 2014, 14:32

Right on! It will be interesting to see how it rides. Think I'll order a course of brave pills before I get behind the wheel.
Bob

Wildwoody1

Postby Wildwoody1 » 09 Feb 2014, 17:00

Also note the Cav plate is rather small , won,t do much for trimming such a large hull. However this was typical of Lewis designs and the major reason not to use large diameter props with small gears.. Creates the issue of remaining as a fully original restoration or modified for a better ride. As it is only for fun I guess its a "no brainer" and it stays original.

Wildwoody1.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 09 Feb 2014, 17:17

Yep no reverse plank. Seeing that conept worked well on racers I dont understand why lewis didnt carry it on to this hull. Its something that concerns me.
I think the metal add on cav plate which is a lot wider than the normal two garboard plank style cav plates may be an indication to try and remedy handling issues.
With a 30% step up a small diameter prop is the only solution to only having 500odd hp. With a large prop I think it will bog down. Im think an 11x12 or 14 pitch prop is about as much as it will take.
This boat was blown in its racing days.
I guess all will be revealed the first time bob hits the starter.
Either way this skiff is going to look and sound awsome.

Wildwoody1

Postby Wildwoody1 » 09 Feb 2014, 18:15

Agreed , should be great.

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 14 Feb 2014, 17:09

Laid the other side of the deck yesterday. The first side went down nicely, no issues at all. This side was a bit of a disaster. We think we did it the same way as the other side, but it just wouldn't lay down straight, we chased bulges from front to back and vice versa. Here is a pic of how we tried to tie it down.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 14 Feb 2014, 17:43

Yep the other side of the deck just didnt want to play. Im still wracking my brain trying to figure out what we did different on the other side. It just laid down without any clamps or effort.
The is a little bit of buckling at the bow. I sent my little scout up under the hull to see if she could get to the front. Next week we will try and prop them out. Im not sure its going to work.
Whatever we end up with We will just have to live with it. The deck looks spectacular with the book matched grains.
Today I made the rest of the deck pieces. Ill glue them down tomorrow arvo.
The transom is all done as well.
Next week we might dummy fit the engine to see where everything goes.

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 14 Feb 2014, 18:16

Dave I don't care what the deck looks like the boat looks fantastic and I cant wait to drive it ;)
paul

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 15 Feb 2014, 08:56

No worries paul. While your waiting to have a drive ill be sending the plating off it down to you.

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 15 Feb 2014, 09:28

No worries but you need to get it down soon or you are going to run out of time.
paul

Return to “Main Room”