Rhonda Babe II

All things general in here
Paul SA

Re: Rhonda Babe II

Postby Paul SA » 19 Dec 2013, 23:15

Looking good at this rate it will be in the water on sunday ;)
Paul

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 20 Dec 2013, 07:13

On monday santa is taking it to do deliveries on Christmas eve.

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 20 Dec 2013, 09:40

Ok if that the case he can just drop it of to my house and I will give him cab money for the trip home.
paul

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 20 Dec 2013, 10:57

You kidding!!! Have you caught a cab lately!!!! Bloody hell NO boat is worth that much.

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 20 Dec 2013, 21:27

Well I figure that if he can slip in and out of the world in one night poo he should be able to get home quick so the charge wouldnt be any more than a hand full of cash !!!!!!

assassin2

Postby assassin2 » 23 Dec 2013, 07:40

On reading some info about the Rhonda Babe 11 a mention of who owned Mooneyes which is now assassin too not sure this if is right ?? I have info that Mooneyes was first owned by Bill Warner a sprint car champ form Sydney and associated with moon racing, then sold to Trevor Matthews after Bill died of Cancer . Trevor who renamed her ASSASSIN TOO and raced in the circuits in the day along side again sold by Trevor in Sydney she had the deck cut down and used as a ski boat arrived sometime later in Melbourne sold again to a fellow in Frankston she sat in his shed for about 10-12 years changed hands again lucky for me I have had her for approx 8 years now !!!! if anyone has different info I would be glad to hear from them ... My plan is to restore Assassin too back to her original name Mooneyes ......

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 23 Dec 2013, 19:50

The info I have is rhonda and mooneyes was owned by the same guy at the same time. He entered the boats together in the vic champs. I cant confirm any of it. Its just hearsay atm.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 24 Dec 2013, 05:52

Without trying to take this thread away from Rhonda Babe II, the description below was sent to me by Graeme Morley to clarify some Assassin Too/Mooneyes history:

The skiff was built in Sydney for Bill Warner who raced in various forms of motor racing for enjoyment and promotional purposes for his Speed Shop which was an importer of American racing equipment, a large part of which covered the needs of Speedway racers in NSW.

After several years around the NSW circuit where it was powered by a 327 ci Chev fitted with a LATHAM axial Supercharger it was sold to Ken Smith of the Bendigo Club where it was raced as part of Kens ever expanding fleet of race boats around about 1968.

In the early 70’s Smith's empire suffered from financial pressures and all his racing gear was sold up at auction. Trevor Mathews purchased Mooneyes and it was fitted with a 266 ci engine to allow Trevor to get more time on the water than was possible in a big Hydroplane such as Assassin.

After a period of racing as ASSASSIN TOO the Hull was again sold when Mathews became more interested in Flying light Aircraft than racing boats.

This time it was purchased by Alan Hore of the Glenmaggie Club who had previously ran Hurricane, Mouse , Tiger etc. and who found himself without a boat at that time. Alan had several race meets in Gippsland that Season and then took a long planned holiday to America to see just what the US of A had to offer. While in the States Alan became ill and was diagnosed with Cancer upon his return home.

Alan took the boat to a GMDBC one more time and “Chips Herbert” sat behind the wheel for the day. Alan's bad luck continued as Herbert barrel rolled the boat in its only race that day.

After Alans passing the family sold the boat complete and a couple of young fellows purchased it ( I worked with owners cousin at the time) and it was used for skiing. As was the case it was then changed to a more practical runabout configuration .

There was plenty written at the time to document the boat but as is the case things get vague over the years . The gentleman who was driver of “Mooneyes” for Ken Smith is still an acquaintance of mine (although I have not seen him for a couple of years) so more info may be available.

assassin2

Postby assassin2 » 24 Dec 2013, 08:56

great work work Greg sounds very close to what Trevor Mathews has told me except that he got the boat directly from Bill Warner so again not to take away from Rhonda Babe 11 the history I'm looking for is assassin too's original name Mooneyes I will be restoring her as Mooneyes so looking for photos etc and more importantly what gear she was running while racing and hopefully the Restoration finished in the near future thanks for the info everyone

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 24 Dec 2013, 10:03

Ian

Here's a start, compliments again of Graeme.

Mooneyes.jpg
Mooneyes.jpg (353.15 KiB) Viewed 5386 times

Return to “Main Room”