Rhonda Babe II

All things general in here
screwit

Re: Rhonda Babe II

Postby screwit » 15 Mar 2014, 15:19

I found a set of s/s headers of a light chevy pick up to suit the small block.
Should only need a 30 deg. bend on the end to exit out the side.
Both sets of pipes are pairs in shape and looks.
May be available in b/b !!

Thommo

Postby Thommo » 15 Mar 2014, 16:17

Reklaw wrote:Image

Megaphone Zoomies 8-) 8-) 8-)

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 15 Mar 2014, 18:34

Thanks for the replies so far guys .......

WW1
Had a bit of a look at that option with the Nicsons when we bolted them up the other day. I think that pic is a bit deceptive, there's not much room between the end of the manifold and the engine compartment timber work, especially since engine compartment is curved, not square. Might be a pretty tight bend, but will look at it again.
I think that pic you speak of is on the first page of this thread. Bit hard to see, but looks like white coated pipes going straight up. Not sure what you mean by "the engine was lifted straight from the Skiff and placed in this Hull"

Alan and Hookster
That grin sort of gives it away a bit doesn't it.

Bob (AKA Spook)
I think you're right on both accounts.

Viteau
Can't recollect seeing exhausts that resemble Ape Hanger handle bars before. Anyone who gets behind the wheel of this old girl might ape like features to control her.

Ross
Thanks for the tip.

Bob W

Wildwoody1

Postby Wildwoody1 » 15 Mar 2014, 19:32

Engine shown in History picture was taken straight out of your Skiff Rhonda Babe and bolted into the Everingham runabout shown. The blower /injection and exhaust as shown was how the boat was fitted out by Baker before being sold to Victorian owner. To look authentic Zoomies of the type shown would be needed , to have fun and sound good good any of the pipes you have shown would do. Only consideration are noise issues at many Venues. Boats of the period used all types of pipes you have shown. Some Extractors were built as two into one then out over the deck on either left or right as driver required.Water was able to be injected into the pipes in some cases to reduce noise , if put into short pipes you need to control with separate Tap to ensure none can get into engine when starting and it is turned off before engine is stopped.

Wildwoody1
Attachments
xxxxxx.jpg
xxxxxx.jpg (45.59 KiB) Viewed 5598 times

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 15 Mar 2014, 19:35

I can only imagine what rhonda babe must have been like with that engine in it.
We will be going with the zoomies. Bob is deaf already and ive got tinitus so we are both stuffed in the ear department.
I havent got two grand to get a set of new pipes . I dont have the time to make a set from scratch so get ready for some noise.

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 23 May 2014, 13:28

Haven't done a post on the RB2 resto for a while. Guess we've slowed down on it a bit, but back into it now. Here's where we're at.

During a trial assembly of the engine, we found that the crowns of the (lumpy) pistons were fouling on the heads. All combustion chambers have to be relieved a bit.

Dave dragged an old but new Comp Cam out of the vault. It's a tad big for what we want but we want to use it if we can. In measuring valve to piston clearance, found that there wasn't enough. Will have to drag out the plasticine and make a "mould' so the machinist can fly cut the pistons. Bet that if you asked the good people from Bunnings " do you have springs that can be used for doing valve to piston clearance check on Big Block Chevs", they'd probably say "no", but that's where I got those springs in the pic from.

During this trial assembly, we also found that quite a few of the Head Stud threads in the block were stuffed. So, Dave did his thing and came up with a Pagano Meccano jig to securely hold the block under the drill stand stand. The pic below shows Dave doing some minute adjustments with the angle grinder.

Meanwhile, back on the hull, we started doing the gunwales. They had to be steamed and bent so Dave introduced me to Stanley (the steamer that is). Here's a pic of Stanley getting ready to do his job.

And so, after the gunwales were treated to their private sauna, compliments of Stanley, they had to go into a bending jig. Here's a pic.

So, that's where we're at at the moment.

screwit

Postby screwit » 23 May 2014, 14:23

Its good to see you and Dave are still at it , Steam jig- is a good pic to show how this is done . The more educating pic's we have on the site helps every one.
Its not an easy job to fit the gunwale properly , looking forward to more pic's as you go.
Ross

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 23 May 2014, 18:42

Yeah it was a bit of a forced break im afraid. Ive had a bit of a set back with work and my back and Although goolwa was fantastic the whole thing left my finances decimated.
To top it off I bought another project which is still at the guys place which swallowed some time as I needed him to help with it. That project is getting to the point i can bring it home.

So basically ive been trying to get back in the black.
I love the shot of me adjusting my engine jig. Very workcover.
We are both focused back on the Babe.
Sanley the steamer cost $15 and took about ten minutes to make. Its just some downpipe and the drum.
I build a roaring wood fire underneath it. It makes a ton of steam.
The jig is pretty straigh forward also. We made them I around half an hour.
Ive bent the gunwales directly on the hul but its panicked and if it goes wrong you have to make new ones.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 23 May 2014, 19:49

Your right about the work cover thing Dave, love the double eye protection......left AND right eye shut!!

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 23 May 2014, 22:33

Oh dont forget im looking away and im biting on a pencil just in case I cut myself.
Looking at that pic I can see why my back is stuffed and I have permanent ringing in my ears.
You know that drilling set up is doing a great job. I have to helicoil every stud hole.
The whole set up is an ancient drill press, an engine crane, a trolley jack and a spirit level. Ill leave it up to you guys to work it all out but rest assured the studs are dead straight. Well at least till we try and fit the heads.

Return to “Main Room”