NSW Fires

All things general in here
reddwarf

Re: NSW Fires

Postby reddwarf » 14 Sep 2013, 18:44

You are correct Dave its silly doing burn in 30 degrees especially with the wind that was blowing. The news said some of the fires were arsonists .were there planned burns or private one being done

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 15 Sep 2013, 09:21

The one up the ridge on sunday was a planned burn. I have no idea what started the one on the flats. Rumour is arson. I had a run in with a bush regeneration advocate yesterday over me wanting to clear the bush opposite me.
My back has gone again and im laid up in bed. The bush is gone whatever the ramifications.

reddwarf

Postby reddwarf » 16 Sep 2013, 05:48

you seem to having a ruff trot so far dave get that back fit .hope to see you in taree .im hopping to run at Toukley in October that will depend on if I get the the new extractors made for thrifty ,as well as fixing the house for sale.never enough time or cash.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 18 Oct 2013, 07:19

Not sure how close the fires are to you (Muswellbrook), but hope all is OK with you James and also for anyone else affected by the NSW fires.

Greg

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 18 Oct 2013, 17:54

I hope everyone out there is OK. The RFS and the Greenies should be spending a real lot of time looking at themselves in the Mirror. All these fires shouldn't be happening. I wish a civil claim was started against them. The forest across the road from my mother hasn't been touched in almost 12 years. Its the next spot to go in our area.
I remember every year the burn offs in winter. Its a joke whats happening now.

reddwarf

Postby reddwarf » 18 Oct 2013, 20:20

not wishing to argue as ive been out for 5 days days this week fighting fires. both in my area and other port stephens locations. (work is not happy )but the rfs has little to do with the choice of where and when to do hazard reduction burns .try asking national parks and the lands dept .we just burn what is choosen. as for running at Toukley ths weekend I cannot go as there is still work on thrifty to do and there are still fires to put out. hope to see all at taree.

JamesW

Postby JamesW » 18 Oct 2013, 22:06

Thanks for thinking of us up here Greg. All is fairly normal despite media "HYPE"!

The fires are in the usual inaccessible rough country surrounding this area, several large ongoing bushfires have run through these regions over the years and are contained as well as can be when they encroach on civilized areas. One home has been lost which is one too many! Everyone has done their best, but burocracy is making it more difficult than it should be.

James

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 18 Oct 2013, 22:28

reddwarf wrote:not wishing to argue as ive been out for 5 days days this week fighting fires. both in my area and other port stephens locations. (work is not happy )but the rfs has little to do with the choice of where and when to do hazard reduction burns .try asking national parks and the lands dept .we just burn what is choosen. as for running at Toukley ths weekend I cannot go as there is still work on thrifty to do and there are still fires to put out. hope to see all at taree.

Pete I know your out there fighting fires.
I also know its beurocrats making the decisions. I would like to see individual bush fire brigades manage their own area. This seems how it was done twenty years ago. They shouldnt have to jump through the hoops required today.
I cant see why an act of parliament could take the power away from the likes of national parks.
Ive cleared about five acres of bush near my place now. Doing some more tomorrow.

Darren

Postby Darren » 18 Oct 2013, 23:30

Our thoughts are with all you guys.
I'm with you on this Guys, its not the CFA guys, its the bum shinners.
We have tracts of land close to use that are solid with fuel, luckily
Victoria at present the weather is, even for us, bazaar!
It was hail wet cold 100 klm winds yesterday next day mid 20s sunny
Tomorrow high 20s and still.
It will in a couple of months be dried out, and the time bomb ticks.
And I need a permit and a council inspection to burn anything in the open
12 months of the year.
:x
Darren

reddwarf

Postby reddwarf » 20 Oct 2013, 07:15

yes another summer of fire as someone said. I too remember when we (rfs) made decisions of when to burn . we lost 2 houses in salt ash last Sunday. and about 500 hectares of bush as well as sheds cars etc ( power lines arcing in strong winds. a fire that started about the same time at Heatherbrae accelerated on Thursday and burnt out 4500 hectares and nearly took out parts of Medowie. again some buildings/cars /caravans, not much compared to the Lithgow fires .but it certainly got the adrenalin going .

Return to “Main Room”