Journal of a Jones hydro

All things general in here
Paul SA

Re: Journal of a Jones hydro

Postby Paul SA » 27 Jun 2009, 21:32

Greg
you have a bad memory i sent you those pics when i had a look at the boat about 8 years ago. the pics where taken at his house.
Paul

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 28 Jun 2009, 16:33

Paul
I KNOW I have a lousy memory. At least now I know where the pics came from and how long ago they came. Thanks mate!
Greg

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 29 Jun 2009, 07:35

The Spook wrote:Dave P

Speaking of working on hydro's I took your advice and ordered another piece of ply during the week and just spent today in the garage fitting it to the right side of The Spook.

I was a bit concerned about how hard it was going to be to bend it around the compound curves on the deck and sponsons but with some straps it turned out to be easier than I thought it would be. Its not ready to be glued yet but is fitted onto the hull.

Now I have to fill that section with flotation and screw n glue the deck down.

Spook

Good one you Bob. I used straps as well to get those front pieces of the deck down. I glued them first as they bend at anangle at the rear. After the glue dried I cut that line straight and put the rear piece of the deck on.

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 29 Jun 2009, 19:35

Dave

I've gone the other way. I put the rears on first and am now working out the front ones. What i have discovered is that if you screw the rear end of the front sheets in place the fronts of them move around to suit as you pull them down. Once they were pulled down I trimmed them and left about an inch overlap for safety.

By the way I got the rear deck sections on without a screw in them anywhere, but I know that will not be possible with the fronts. The bends are just too severe

Spook

Dave88

Postby Dave88 » 30 Jul 2009, 22:56

A quick progress update on the hydro...

Works slowed a little on the hull while I've been getting a car project on the road and registered. Since the last photos were posted, I've removed all of the remaining deck and replaced the front-most bulkhead. The transom requires replacing and I've decided to make two long aluminium gussets that will web between the new transom and the engine bearers - to dissipate the load of the rudder a bit so it isn't acting on the transom alone.

Been tinkering with the motor I intend to use also. The block has quite a few battle scars and is weeping from 2 sleeves, so looks like a new block is on the cards. It wasn't unexpected though, as I was told the motor had water in the oil when I purchased it. Mainly purchased it for the heads and internals so I'm not too phased.

Think I might flip the hull over on the weekend to strip the remaining glass off and see what I can find underneath

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 01 Aug 2009, 06:49

Hey dave. Ive had a bit of practise rebuilding sponsons. :D

Dave88

Postby Dave88 » 06 Aug 2009, 23:40

Sounds like it Dave! Will it be ready for the Top End Sprint? Or is the big hydro getting wet?

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 07 Aug 2009, 14:01

Dave. Im not thinking boats for a while. Ive got to concentrate on the house and try and keep the bottom feeders out. :(

Dave88

Postby Dave88 » 16 Apr 2010, 01:07

Quick update...

Have removed the port sponson, flipped the hull over and started removing the bottom.
I'm replacing the top and bottom stringers with good quality hoop pine (A-grade hoop pine is now an accepted substitute for spruce in recreational aircraft). If it's good enough for a plane, should be good enough for a hydroplane too I reckon..

My direction for the powerplant has changed a bit also. I no longer have any ambition to race this particular boat once it's finished. The injected 350 is being put aside and I'm going to fit a bog stock 305 Chev that I bought tonight

Will round up some updated photos if anyone's interested

Nick

Postby Nick » 16 Apr 2010, 17:15

Hi Dave
Would love to see some update photo's

Nick

Return to “Main Room”