Journal of a Jones hydro

All things general in here
Dave88

Journal of a Jones hydro

Postby Dave88 » 21 Jun 2009, 00:11

I've decided to start a progress journal of my current restoration project, a 17'6" Jones hydro.
I'd been wanting a rear seater for a long time and decided 2009 would be the year to go out and get one.
The hull was purchased from a well known boat collector from the Sydney area (who needs no introduction on this forum). My intention is to restore the boat back to raceable condition and gain some driving experience in it at a club level.

I think this hydro will be the start of an unhealthy new obsession. I lie awake at night and already think that I'd like to acquire another one... or three... But in the meantime, this one will satisfy my needs just fine for now!
I'll try and post a couple of photo's up at each major milestone.

I'd appreciate hearing any comments, critique or suggestions anyone has to offer along the way. Enjoy!

Before.jpg
The before shot
Before.jpg (189 KiB) Viewed 8965 times

AP1010020.jpg
My first and last "drive" for a while... Vroom vroom sounds and all
AP1010020.jpg (199.21 KiB) Viewed 8952 times

APC280197.jpg
Progress end of week 2 (as it sits at the moment). Started unpicking a few stringers so I can get at the front bulkhead and some timber around the leading edge for replacement.
APC280197.jpg (244.5 KiB) Viewed 8940 times

Nick

Re: Journal of a Jones hydro

Postby Nick » 21 Jun 2009, 08:42

Hey Dave
Up and at it
Great to see
You are well and truly into the danger zone now
If we get an update photo in 2 weeks showing more progress then the boat will get finished
What engine are you planing on?

Nick

Dave88

Postby Dave88 » 21 Jun 2009, 20:34

Hey Nick,
I've got a Small Block Chev (350) set aside. I'm aiming to build a traditional motor for the era of the boat, yet still have something that can put up a fight against, say, a newer Japanese V8 when required.
Just tonight I've been dummying up the motor so I have some dimensions to work with. I'll post a pic up in the near future

Cheers

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 22 Jun 2009, 08:29

Good stuff Dave. Like Nick said dont lose any momentum. Once you stop its all over. How does it look inside? Dont forget now that its open to bolt all the frames and particularly where the sponsons attach to the centre hull together. Make sure its sealed in that area also.
Good luck with it. :D

Dave88

Postby Dave88 » 24 Jun 2009, 23:32

Hey Dave,

So far so good. Other than that bit of rot on the port gunwhale, there's a little bit in the bottom stringers of each sponson. I'm planning to re-stringer the majority of the hull so that'll be taken care of. Also, the front bulkhead looks like a bit of swiss cheese from all the different decking screws used over time, so I'll replace that too.

When the time comes I'll put some photos up and get you to check if I've bolted it all down properly before I close the lid on it again.

Having fun so far :D

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 25 Jun 2009, 20:42

What an exciting time it is at the start of a new project. In brief, what is the history of this hydro? I'm looking forward to seeing lots more pics of the restoration as it progresses.

Bob

Dave88

Postby Dave88 » 25 Jun 2009, 21:15

Hi Bob,
To be honest, I know very little about the history of the boat. It's something I intend to research though. In the meantime, Dave P might be able to provide comment?
The boat's name is "Melikar". The cowls read "Driver - Larry Melville", "Mt Gambier Aquatic Club". The most recent rego sticker on the boat is from 1996. Does anyone recall ever seeing the boat?

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 26 Jun 2009, 22:31

I bought the boat of Larry. He said that he mainly club raced it. Although it was never one of the front runners he was especially proud of the fact that the boat finished every race it started.
I cant bragg about that one with anything I have raced.
He also said it turned like a displacement. Id like to see that one.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 27 Jun 2009, 06:40

Dave

These poor quality pics are all I have of the boat. I have no idea when they were taken.

Greg

1.jpg
1.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 8538 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 8533 times

3.jpg
3.jpg (40.56 KiB) Viewed 8527 times

4.jpg
4.jpg (37.81 KiB) Viewed 8529 times

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 27 Jun 2009, 16:32

Dave P

Speaking of working on hydro's I took your advice and ordered another piece of ply during the week and just spent today in the garage fitting it to the right side of The Spook.

I was a bit concerned about how hard it was going to be to bend it around the compound curves on the deck and sponsons but with some straps it turned out to be easier than I thought it would be. Its not ready to be glued yet but is fitted onto the hull.

Now I have to fill that section with flotation and screw n glue the deck down.

Spook

Return to “Main Room”