Skiboat site

All things general in here
Reklaw

Re: Skiboat site

Postby Reklaw » 09 Dec 2012, 10:43

Hey Dave, I was going to reply that you are wrong, that Bruce's boat was Twinson. Luckily I checked the trusty Syllabi (plural for Syllabus) and, bugger it, you're right again. Bruce had Chug-A-Lug in 69 - 70.
Didn't know he passed away. He was one of the stalwarts of Deepwater, being Commodore for many seasons. There's not many left of that era now.
Bob

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 09 Dec 2012, 12:23

Bob i got the boat off bruce.

fireflyii

Postby fireflyii » 09 Dec 2012, 19:17

Hi All
My father took these photos (the firefly album) when he was a member at deepwater many years ago (late 60's early 70's). Dad had these pics on slides and I converted them to digital format several years ago. I made a post on this forum about 7 years back asking if anyone knew the whereabouts of his old skiff firefly and that was the extent of my entries on this forum. This forum is great, Dad and I like to see what is being talked about but both of us have never been active on the forum.
I stumbled over the Aussie skiboats site and saw a lot of old race skiffs being posted and thought Ron would appreciate Dads pics. Ron has done a great job with his site and Dad and I get a buzz out of seeing the old boats that he posts. Its great that many people are sharing their old pics, I hope many people out there with photos in old albums on the shelves do the same .
Dave, I gave you a copy of these pics plus others on a CD about 6 years back (when we swapped rudders - Dad and I were putting Fireflyii together at the time).
I would have posted the pics here on this forum however, like I said I am not active on this board and it seemed a lot easier to email them to Ron.
Cheers
Ben B

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 09 Dec 2012, 20:55

Hi ben . Its all cool. I have the cd still but i have no idea how to post pics.
This isnt directed at any one in particular i just dont get how come so many great pics from other active members on this forum dont post here.
The more sites that promote our hobby the better.
Anyway ben now that you are on here get active again. I see your boat now and again if its the same firefly two i see at panania

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 09 Dec 2012, 21:07

G'day Ben

Some really great photos from an excellent collection.

Regarding somewhere to put photos up, the CAWPBA website has always had a section where readers and enthusiasts, etc, were able to display pictures of their boats. We actively sought, and still seek pictures, hoping to do what the Aussie Skiboat site has done so well. That facility has been on our website for around 15 years now, it's just that no-one would send anything in, such that I ended up consolidating restorations and reader's boats into the one section earlier this year. It was only a case of sending (emailing) photos in, pretty much, I believe, as is done with the Aussie ski boat site.

The same can still be done on this Bulletin Board. For those who can't be bothered with the messing around of uploading their pictures, which I admit is a bit clunky, they can be emailed in to me (or to anyone else, for that matter) for posting. Of course, this Bulletin Board's subject matter being what it is, is only open to timber boats.

As I have always said, if you would like to see your boat up there, post away or send the pics in. If there is enough response, a seperate section can easily be created for Reader's Boats, to prevent them getting buried and lost amongst the other posts.

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 09 Dec 2012, 21:13

Heres a couple of pics from a magazine I picked up today.

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 10 Dec 2012, 08:35

Hi Ben. Don't know if we've ever met, but we have something in common. My father raced a boat called Firefly at Deepwater too. Was a bit before your dad 'though, probably 1947. Here's a pic.
Bob

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 10 Dec 2012, 09:29

Took a bit of time out to cruise around the Skiboat site this morning and was surprised to see a photo of Riot. Judging by the shacks in the background, it could have been taken at St George.
I bought Riot from John Jordan (Jordo) in the early '70's and called it Reklaw. It was a typical 155 CI setup, an Everingham hull with a 144 Falcon motor with Hillborn Injection, just like Renegade. I was never really successful with the boat and skiff racing was dying out, so I sold it about 3 years later. I heard a rumour that it had later been fitted with a V8 and laying somewhere under the bridge at Grafton.
Here's a couple of pics.

fireflyii

Postby fireflyii » 10 Dec 2012, 11:46

Awesome pics Bob, yes long before my Dad (he was born in 48). I just phoned Dad and told him to check them out.

hookster

Postby hookster » 11 Dec 2012, 07:41

Beautiful looking boat Reklaw, and man that's one hellova moustache. There's no denying that photo was taken in the 70's is there :lol:

Return to “Main Room”