Ballarat swap

All things general in here
screwit

Ballarat swap

Postby screwit » 16 Feb 2012, 15:10

Just letting every one know I have a site at Ballarat, No 1559, this is almost opp. the food vans half way down the old dirt runway, I have road frontage.
This can be a front for the Boat club, fri - set up- trading sat- sun, There is no thurs any more!!!
Ross

Greg
Creator

Re: Ballarat swap

Postby Greg » 16 Feb 2012, 20:22

Ross
What date?

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 16 Feb 2012, 20:57

Hi Ross,
Looking forward to catching up. I was sort of thinking of taking the boat to Lake Learmonth on the Friday straight from work and camping there for the weekend. Heading in Ballarat for the swap meet on Saturday and then spending Sunday on the lake. I did this last year and it made for a great weekend. It is only a short walk from the camp ground to the pub! Of course this depends on the weather and how Suffrajet performs this weekend but if anyone is interested it is a great place to hang out.
Regards
Nick

screwit

Postby screwit » 16 Feb 2012, 21:14

Ballarat is on the fri- 24 sat- 25 sun- 26 of feb
Ross

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 21 Feb 2012, 21:09

Is anybody taking advantage of Ross's site? It's a great opportunity to clean out the shed of any unwanted (saleable) goods and a great opportunity to catch up.

Greg

screwit

Postby screwit » 27 Feb 2012, 08:11

Well there was not so much boat stuff this year, the seacraft owner was offering his boat and it did look good in the picks having owned it for a long time it was orig good cond. There was some polished 2 1/2 pipes manifolds and mounts for sb chev that was near new but I didnt check the price.
there was a few sets of bb chev manifolds, 351 bell houseing with dog clutch and two sets of red holden 6 dog clutches and horse shoes sumps and some incomplete non dog mounts for holden 6 and a water cooled sump for small block chev but most of this stuff was a bit ruff!!!
The 351 stuff must of been made with sme gold mixed in the casting !!! The guy next to me had a blown hemi for 22grand, that would look good in the skiff.
I did buy a alloy fly wheel for a holden six. Didnt see any members but I was not there all the time, as I was out looking.
Ross

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 27 Feb 2012, 18:19

Hi Ross,
I loked for you on Saturday, but missed you. Would have been very interested in the 351 dog clutch but didn't see it. Rather hoping that when Grumpy hits the water again it is with ford V8 power.
Cheers
Nick

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 27 Feb 2012, 20:43

Just be careful with the alloy flywheels for Holden 6 engines. The harmonics in the engine cause the them to often flog out the flywheel bolts in the the centre.

Now if you could find someone to drill out and ream the holes to put a hardened sleeve in there it may help solve that problem.

Also don't (repeat) don't use the ARP flywheelbolts listed for a Holden 6 as they don't have a large enough diameter under the hex to get a decent clamp pressure on the flywheel.

Many members of the historic touring car racing fraternity have found out the hard way!!!

Cheers
Peter

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 27 Feb 2012, 20:48

ive never had any dramas with alloy fly wheels exploding on holden 6's. ive got arp bolts on mine at the moment and hadnt had a drama with clamping. maybe they changed them at some stage. i was actually thinking the other day about how many people are building holden 6s anymore. i wouldnt know the last time i saw one cruise past in a eh or hr. such a shame realy considering i cant sell mine haha

brian

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 27 Feb 2012, 21:13

No they don't explode but the steel of the threaded section of the bolts can flog out and make oval the holes in the flywheel. Then they can come loose, not a good idea.

Have a look at the clamp area of a Holden flywheel bolt ad opposed to the ARP. The ARP is much smaller.

I am only going by experience with Holden engines in race cars and advice from Ian Tate and Ian Shugg from Crankshaft Rebuilders.

I'm glad that it's ok, I'd use a yella terra lightweight steel one before an aluminium flywheel.

Peter

Return to “Main Room”