A Tasmanian experience

All things general in here
Chivs

Re: A Tasmanian experience

Postby Chivs » 13 Jun 2011, 21:52

Hey Doc, ever been to Tasy? Got any free time? Thanks for all the info, it is certainly pointing me in the right direction. I got off to a good start because Bob sold me original Lewis windscreen brackets he obtained for the resto of Torea.

Chris.

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 14 Jun 2011, 09:05

Yep they can pop out all right. I've used some silicon in the frame on Turbo Fire to hold the top and front edge in position. If it continues to be a problem, the next fix is some fine beading along the deck where the perspex makes contact.

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 14 Jun 2011, 17:41

Pop out so they fall back inside the boat obviously, or are you getting to be an expert at cutting and fixing perspex? Might have a job for you Bob, you know with all that free time you have!
I have attached for everyone's interest the hinge bracket set up, the ply backing to the transom safely removed and some cavitation plate shots. No answer to the need for the laminex like material on top of the plate, perhaps some left over from a kitchen bench job?
Attachments
torea restoration 001.jpg
torea restoration 001.jpg (55.98 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
torea restoration 002.jpg
torea restoration 002.jpg (72 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
torea restoration 003.jpg
torea restoration 003.jpg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
torea restoration 004.jpg
torea restoration 004.jpg (81.36 KiB) Viewed 6002 times
torea restoration 005.jpg
torea restoration 005.jpg (88.05 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
hinge used as bracket.JPG
hinge used as bracket.JPG (63.02 KiB) Viewed 5995 times

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 26 Jun 2011, 16:06

Engine bed removed over the weekend to show not all clean and dandy as the past images may have indicated! Used some caustic soda with a heavy duty scouring pad and gave the bottom planks to the hull a scub and the engine bed. Could be worth a go Brian to see if it assists with your oil issues? Cheers.
Attachments
torea restoration 002.jpg
torea restoration 002.jpg (83.68 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
torea restoration 003.jpg
torea restoration 003.jpg (87.05 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
torea restoration 004.jpg
torea restoration 004.jpg (90.12 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
torea restoration 005.jpg
torea restoration 005.jpg (69.06 KiB) Viewed 5871 times
torea restoration 001.jpg
torea restoration 001.jpg (35.73 KiB) Viewed 5867 times

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 26 Jun 2011, 18:57

Howdy. Thats looking good. There is always a surprise or two. Its part of the fun. Haha. I spent some time pressure washing mine and its coming up ok. One more week and ill be in the factory and ive gotta get stuck into it or nerrandera will be here before im done. Your bearers look pretty good atleast. Should be a very nice boat. Will u get it done for nerrandera?

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 27 Jun 2011, 00:03

Ahoy Brian! Won't be anywhere near ready for Narrandera this year, definitely next. Did fill you in before, you must be like me with the short term memory issues. I am taking Tomboy this year with my Dad and Bruce and hope to cruise the Yarra on the Thursday before travelling to Yarrawonga to catch up with the Hookster and then Narrandera, hopefully!
My dad read the post the other day and reminded me I forgot to tell all the issues of getting on the Ferry to Tasy. The security/quarratine/car parking dude checked the car and boat, wanted to know if I had flares, and had I washed the boat after using it. I said, "Mate, mate, cobber, cock have a look at the boat, you may or may not know boats but have a look, do I need to answer the question?" The reply was I got some paper work to fill out to give to Tasmanian Quarantine officers on my arrival. The guts of the paperwork is to detail where you have been and done with the boat and if you have washed all the gear used if fishing etc due to Tasmania's strict quarantine laws. Because I love red tape and no hassles I completed the paperwork and the over zealous quaratine officer went through me like a fine tooth comb and possibly also did not know boats. I told them I was going to restore the boat and put a dive door in the transom to do some diving off the coast. :o Cheers

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 27 Jun 2011, 08:54

Hahahahaha. Nice story. And yes i do hVe short term memory ;p. Ill cruise the yarra with yas with me clinker

hookster

Postby hookster » 27 Jun 2011, 10:17

You should have let any of the following scenarios slip Chivs:
(a) You just bought the boat off a member of the Columbian drug cartel, and were hoping the keel was hollow and still contained a couple of kg's of cocaine which you hoped to offload at Salamanca Market
(b) You just used it in a European Carp fishing competition in Victoria and won first prize for catching 147 carp
(c) You were planning on putting a blown big block in it so you could start an abalone poaching ring
(d) Or lastly, (and I'm sure this is actually what really went on) you could have just blown up in his face and said, "Do you know who the @#&k you are dealing with? You pompous little **h%$le!!!"

I can sympathise with you though, I was happily sipping away on a can while waiting in the queue last time I went to Tassie on the ferry and the security dudes sprang me and confiscated it...wouldn't even let me skull it and finish it off.

Oh, also, have been speaking to Andy in Balranald, and he warned me to make sure I had my drinking shoes on for Nerrandera...I assured him that he need not worry :lol:

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 27 Jun 2011, 19:20

Hey Chris, you could load the car and trailer in Tomboy and bring the lot over that way, she's big enough!! Don't ya just love people with uniforms and crappy attitudes.

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 15 Aug 2011, 20:14

Ahoy all! Been a bit quite, not much to report my end and recovering from a nasty bout of the MAN FLU!

I got an e mail from the Australian Wooden Boat Festival today, already organising for 2013! As usual it will be bigger than ever, I tried to attach it to this post but the extension htm (whatever) is not allowed.

If you want the full details you can go to www.australianwoodenboatfestival.com.au web site and go to Hot News page. In brief they talk up the last festival and the next one to be held 8 to 11 February 2013. They also remind reader of the ABC 'The Collectors' who did a special on the 2011 Festival. You can still see the episode on 'The Collectors' web site www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/ and click on Episode Guide and look for Episode 5. There is a bit on Mystral, which I attached some photos of from my bit on the Hobart and Launceston festivals.

If you are toying with idea of making the trip they are plugging Tas Vacations who are the official travel and accommodation provider for 2013. You can check them out at holidays@tasvactions.com or a free call on 1800030160.

Best regards, Chris.

Return to “Main Room”